Monday, December 10, 2012

One Terrifying Tome


I'm currently in possession of an utterly terrifying book. Those of you who are easily alarmed should turn away now. 


The odd, face-like shadows on the book are from condensation on the window. Spooky.
That's it. In spite of the sinister shadows on the cover, it doesn't look all that intimidating. Of course, you can't judge a book by the cover, and it's what's inside this one that makes it particularly frightening. 


Coloured pencil courtesy of my most supportive Hubby.
You're right. It's blank. Thirty-two blank pages of sheer terror. Those blank pages are meant to be filled by yours truly. Just looking at the damned thing gives me heart palpitations.

So what exactly is it?

This terrifying tome is my sketchbook. I am taking part in The Sketchbook Project. Problem is, I don't really draw. Or doodle. Or scribble. Or anything arty.

So why do I have it?

Partly due to peer pressure. A friend asked me more than once to take part. She was forming a local group to participate, and she assured me I could create something with words. I finally caved and said yes, though at the time I thought I would be responsible for one page in the group sketchbook. Only after making a public announcement did I realize that I would be responsible for an entire book. You'd think I was old enough to avoid making rash promises on social media sites. You'd be wrong.

One, entire, thirty-two page sketchbook. I don't know that I have that many words.

Did I mention there was a deadline? I have to have the thing done and in the mail by January 15th. Good thing I didn't have any holiday plans. Of course, I have had the thing for 12 days, and I haven't made a mark in it. Any last-minute scrambling will be my own fault. Like that makes it any less frightening.

So why bother?

Well, once completed and returned, this wee book will go on tour. It's going to go to some pretty cool cities. Some of them are cities we'd like to visit. Some are cities we've talked about visiting, but have never gotten around to. My shewd and cunning plan is to go visit my book in one of these cities. Hubby and I tend to travel to the same places again and again. I hope this project will nudge us out of our comfortable travel routine and encourage us to go somewhere new. 

Big plans for a small book. Wish me luck. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen